Proud Professional Reader

Professional Reader

About the Blog

Welcome to Paula and Sarina's Book Blog! Avid readers, hard core fan girls of fictional literary male characters, proud library captains. We started this blog because of our love for reading YA novels and decided to share our thoughts on the books we read. We hope you enjoy our blog and contact us if you have any questions :)
Powered by Blogger.
Friday 24 May 2013
Name: This Is What Happy Looks Like
Author: Jennifer E. Smith
Release Date: April 2, 2013
Grade: B

Goodreads Summary: If fate sent you an email, would you answer? When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds. 

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?


Review: When I first heard the premise of this novel, I was instantly intrigued by it. Everything about this book screamed perfect romance. A movie star accidentally emailing you and continuing on a conversation that lasts months? Could this please happen to me?

The book began with the first emails exchanges between Ellie and Graham. They set the tone of the rest of the story really well as you could feel an instant connections between the characters. The more they talked, the more charmed I was by their budding romance.

I was not expecting this book to be long because Smith's previous novel, The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight, was fairly short. So it was much to my surprise when I picked up this book, and it was a 400 pages long. For me, that was its one fault. Though I loved reading about Ellie's and Graham's life, I found myself to be wanting to skim over some parts as they seemed to drag on a bit.

Something I couldn't help but notice though was Smith's amazing description. There were many lines that seemed so simple yet poignant, and I found myself rereading certain paragraphs because the writing just so good.

This book is one that will make you feel happy. I recommend it to fans of Smith's previous novels, and any other fan of the YA romance genre. Don't shy away from its length like I almost did though. Otherwise you'll regret having missed out on this one.

Happy reading!

~SARINA

1 comments:

alicia♥ said...

I loved The Statistical Probabiliy and I'm reading This Is What Happy Looks Like right now!! I loved the cute banter between Graham and Ellie, but yeah, I agree it gets quite draggy when nothing much actually happens :/ Still enjoying it though!

Alicia @ Summer Next Top Story