Proud Professional Reader

Professional Reader

About the Blog

Welcome to Paula and Sarina's Book Blog! Avid readers, hard core fan girls of fictional literary male characters, proud library captains. We started this blog because of our love for reading YA novels and decided to share our thoughts on the books we read. We hope you enjoy our blog and contact us if you have any questions :)
Powered by Blogger.
Friday 28 June 2013
Name: The Forsaken (The Forsaken #1)
Author: Lisa M. Stasse
Date Published: July 10, 2012
Grade: B

Goodreads Summary: As an obedient orphan of the U.N.A. (the super-country that was once Mexico, the U.S., and Canada), Alenna learned at an early age to blend in and be quiet—having your parents taken by the police will do that to a girl. But Alenna can’t help but stand out when she fails a test that all sixteen-year-olds have to take: The test says she has a high capacity for brutal violence, and so she is sent to The Wheel, an island where all would-be criminals end up.

The life expectancy of prisoners on The Wheel is just two years, but with dirty, violent, and chaotic conditions, the time seems a lot longer as Alenna is forced to deal with civil wars for land ownership and machines that snatch kids out of their makeshift homes. Desperate, she and the other prisoners concoct a potentially fatal plan to flee the island. Survival may seem impossible, but Alenna is determined to achieve it anyway.

Review: The Goodreads summary is what initially drew me in so quickly about this book. Lately, I've been really falling in love with dystopian novels. Along with this whole Lost similarity, with an island and a higher power controlling things, and different "sides" of the island, mixed in with a bit of Lord of the Flies and Hunger Games, I had very high expectations for The Forsaken. 

Let's start off with what I liked. It was definitely a refreshing read because it was so different compared to the young adult novels I've been reading lately. The Forsaken is a very fast paced book, filled with action and adventure, I never found myself bored and my eyes leaped from page to page, desperately wanting more. Along with the many mysteries lurking within the story, there are also many twists hidden for the readers as the book goes on, which is always fun to read. 

Although this novel did have a "romance" in it, 1) there was an annoying love triangle (which I found unnecessary and tiring to read) and 2) I never quite believed in the relationship between Liam and Alenna because it all happened so fast. She literally met him, talked to him once, and then they decided they were "apparently" in love with each other.  It was pretty hard to feel their connection because they rarely had moments that showed their true personalities. Which leads me to my next point- most of the characters didn't really have much of a personality, especially Alenna, the protagonist. I don't think she showed enough emotion at all, and even when she did, it was boring to read. I didn't really like Alenna- her priorities seemed muddled up. At times, she would be like "Yeah! I'm an independent girl ready to go fight for myself and keep on trekkin'!" and then the next thing you know its all "I miss Liam.". LITERALLY THOUGH. It was irritating jumping back and forth between her two identities. Also, there tended to be a sentence italicized randomly every so often. I don't think it made the sentence any more dramatic. It was just weird. 

Overall, I really enjoyed The Forsaken because of its quick pace and really interesting, engaging story line. Although this book was definitely not perfect, with its flat characters and questionable romance, I will definitely stick with the series and I anticipate the release of The Uprising, which is the second book in the Forsaken series. 

Happy reading!

PAULA :)


0 comments: