Proud Professional Reader

Professional Reader

About the Blog

Welcome to Paula and Sarina's Book Blog! Avid readers, hard core fan girls of fictional literary male characters, proud library captains. We started this blog because of our love for reading YA novels and decided to share our thoughts on the books we read. We hope you enjoy our blog and contact us if you have any questions :)
Powered by Blogger.
Monday 22 April 2013
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created over at The Broke and the Bookish. Because your admins here at From Covers to Covers love the idea of making funny and interesting lists, we are really excited to participate in these weekly challenges!

BOOKS WE LIKED LESS... :S


1. Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Leviathan
A boy and a girl meet through a bookstore, they fall in love by communicating through the pages of a book, from both a girl's point of view and a guy's point of view. How can you not be head over heels in love with that little summary? We sure were. It had SOOOO much potential to be an amazing book. Everything from the cover, to the plot, to the names Dash and Lily sounded perfect... I guess we just created expectations that were way too unreachable, because sadly, it was a let down. There wasn't enough context, the characters were annoying, and the writing felt dull. 



2. The Probability of Miracles by Wendy Wunder
We bought this book together and were both pretty excited to read it, but when we got half way through, we both couldn't even finish the book. I hated that it was in third person POV because I felt so emotionless while I was reading, it didn't engage me in any way and I found Cam, the main character, so annoying and exhausting to read. 



3. The Fine Art of Truth or Dare by Melissa Jensen
With a summary that defines this books as "Pretty in Pink meets Anna and the French Kiss", I had some seriously high expectations for this one. After reading it, I guess I understand the Pretty in Pink side of things, but Anna and the French Kiss? No no no no no... This books is incomparable to Anna.



4. The Evermore series by Alyson Noël
I started this series when I was in the paranormal mood. It was pretty good. Then it got really good. After that, it got worse and worse. It honestly got to a point where I was skimming the book because everything was so boring and repetitive. At least the series is now over, so I am put out of my misery.




5. 13 Little Blue Envelopes/ The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson
We heard rave reviews about these books. Maybe it was the third person narration or maybe it was just the story, but this book did not live up to the hype for us. It lacked romance and appeal. Everything was just a bit too bland for our liking.


6. The Delirium series by Lauren Oliver
This one is a bit of a cheat. We've read the first book. It was pretty good. Then the next one came out, and we heard an uproar about it because many people did not like the direction it was heading. From what we've heard about it, we also don't like where it was heading. Maybe one day we'll give this series a go again, but that day won't be for a long while.

BOOKS WE LIKED MORE... :D


1. The Wolves of Mercy Fall Series by Maggie Stiefvater
Werewolves. Sounds supernatural/paranormal. Well this book exceeds this stereotype. It was about love and family and love and friendship and love. We doubt that we'll ever find another book with a romance as innocent yet mature and cute yet passionate as this one ever again. This series is a gem.



2. Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley
Alright so I (Paula) just finished this book like, a couple days ago, and you can check out my full review in our reviews section. Overall, I thought this book was really well written! It surprised me how much I liked it considering there wasn't much girl-boy romance. The writing was gorgeous and Whaley painted such a vivid, and beautiful storyline and a really cool set of characters, which resulted in an amazing story. 



3. The Ivy Series by Lauren Kunze with Rina Onur
When I first read the summary of this book, I thought that it'd be a nice and entertaining read. Four books later, I can safely call it my guilty pleasure. While I wouldn't ever want to watch a show like this series (because it would honestly be very cringe worthy), I could not help but get sucked into these books. Oh and the cliffhangers! The best/worst cliffhangers I've ever read. Honestly.



4. Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
I didn't hear much about this book before I picked it up which is most probably why I liked it more than I thought I would. The best way to describe Dairy Queen is that it's refreshing. It deals with friendship struggles, family issues, and a budding romance. If you're looking for a summer read, look no further! Dairy Queen is sure to brighten your day.

That's a wrap! What books may have impressed or unimpressed you? 

8 comments:

Divergent Gryffindor said...

Eh, I didn't really like Dash & Lily's too, but then again, I didn't expect anything from it too much.. As for Delirium, I didn't like it already from the first book, so... :)
Top Ten Tuesday
Check This Out! :)

Unknown said...

I have literally heard nothing but bad things about Evermore, lol. Not something I'll ever pick up. I actually really liked Delirium, but Requiem sounds like it has a bad ending, so I don't know how soon I'll read it. Nice list. :)

Anonymous said...

Fab list. I haven't read any of this yet but some are on my TBR list. I love the look of Where Things Come Back though.

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

oh I adore Dash and Lily sad that it didn't click for you. And I need to check out Dairy Queen I remember thinking it looked cute!
My Top Ten

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any of these but actually have Shiver sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I keep hesitating because some people love it and same people hate it, but I guess I really just need to read it and find out how I feel for myself! I'm glad to see you liked it more than you thought you would!

My TTT

Book Blather said...

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares was such a let down for me after the perfection that was Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - the magic was gone. :-( I too loved the description of The Fine Art of Truth or Dare but early bad reviews warned me off. Urgh, don't get me started on Evermore, ALCOHOLISM? REALLY?! Dairy Queen sounds pleasant, I might give it a spin once our woefully shy English summer actually begins (but Spring has to arrive first, so it could be a while!).

Anonymous said...

I loved Dairy Queen and couldn't agree more - it was totally refreshing. I listened to the audiobook and loved it.

I just bought Where Things Come Back the other day, and I'm excited to read it. Glad to hear you liked it more than you were expecting.

I liked Truth or Dare, but didn't love it. And it's not even close to Anna!!!

Sarina said...

Thanks everybody for the comments! We're glad that you enjoyed our list :) For those of you who have mentioned picking up a book on the "books we liked more" list, you should definitely give it a go! They are all fabulous books!